Sunday, September 8, 2013

Recent Collective Haul and a Few Mini Reviews

Michael Todd True Organics
*jumps on Michael Todd bandwagon* (albeit a little late) So I made my first purchase from MTTO, the Honey and Oat Cleanser. I got this to use as my nighttime cleanser to use with my Clarisonic Mia2 after my oil cleanse. Expect a review on this soon.

Amazon
So I've had my Clarisonic Mia2 for several...serveral months now and I know the brush head is supposed to be changed every three months, but I just have not been able to bring myself to shell out $25 for one brush head (or $40 for 2). Lately, my skin has been breaking out in zits, which I rarely get. Among other things like a dirty pillowcase, using up random bottles of skincare and that time of the month, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get a new brush head. Looking at the Sephora site, I learned that there is a brush head even gentler than the Sensitive one that the Mia2 came with. They call this one "Delicate". I thought I'd give these a shot since I've been using my Mia2 morning and night. I don't know what possessed me (because I never shop on Amazon), but I hopped online to see if I could find a brush head any cheaper than $25. Lo and behold, I found a 2 pack for $13.99 after shipping. Jackpot! I'll let you know if I like the Delicate heads any better than the Sensitive ones once I've used one for a bit.

Sephora
I've been trying to keep my beauty obsession a little more under control lately, and that means avoiding Sephora like the plague. However, since I've run out of nighttime, creamy cleanser for my Mia2, I thought I'd allow myself to venture in to pick up the Algenist Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser AND NOTHING ELSE. Well, I did get the cleanser (see Products I've Used Up and Will Repurchase post for mini review), but I also slipped and got the Caudalie Beauty Elixir which everyone online seems to love. It smells divine, like an upscale spa, and feels great on the skin. The reason it does these things is because it contains alcohol and fragrance, both extremely irritating to skin. Boo. So that's going back. Should have done more research before shelling out $18 for a perfumey water spray.

Walmart
I went to a different Walmart the other day than my usual haunt, which was a risk because not all Walmarts carry the same thing and I know what my Walmart carries. However, I went to the brand-spanking new store in the city my boyfriend lives in and not only was I satisfied with their selection of products, I was pretty impressed. Along with all the typical drugstore beauty brands (i.e. Revlon, Covergirl, Neutrogena...) they also stocked Flower Beauty by Drew Berrymore and Real Techniques! It was difficult to restrain myself, but I went in for a few essentials I was low on and pretty much stuck to my list.

First, I needed a backup of the Got2B Guardian Angel Flat Iron Balm as I'm low and know I'm going to run out this week. This is a hair care staple for me and at least the 4th bottle I've purchased.

Next I got some cotton pads and I ended up with the Equate large round cotton pads. These don't disintegrate when you put a watery product on them and are large enough that I can use one pad to remove the makeup from both eyes and use another to tone my face and neck. Really happy with these.

Something I'm kind of excited I found is the Swisspers Blotting Paper. They were just over $2 for 100 sheets - about a quarter of the price of the Clean and Clear version which I don't really like because they're plastic and not actually paper. Excited to try these out.

I've run out of my mini size of the Josie Maran Argan Oil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 40+ and have also just learned that a moisturizer with an SPF doesn't give you enough protection anyway, so I decided to browse the sunscreen aisle. I ended up with the Nuetrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock Cream SPF 30. I didn't go higher with the SPF (Neutrogena went all the way up to SPF 100!!) because anything higher than 30 gives you hardly any more protection that the 30 itself, so I saved a buck or so sticking with the lower SPF. I've tried this out and I'm not sure what I think of it. It stung my face when applying it, which I can't be good. Upon reading the ingredients, I discovered that benzyl alcohol (a "bad" alcohol) is pretty high up there on the ingredients list. This might be getting exchanged if I can find something else from Walmart without alcohol in it. Oh, and as far as where I'm getting my info on fragrance, how much of an SPF product to use and good/bad alcohols, check out this channel by Veronica Gorgeois. She used to be an esthetician, so she knows her shit.

Lastly from Wallyworld, I got something not on my list. Shame on me. I picked up the Vaseline Spray & Go Total Moisture Moisturizer. I got the one in the yellow can. I gave this a go, and it's pretty cool. I sprayed this on after my shower, brushed my teeth and let the product soak in and then rubbed the rest in after. It was nice not to feel like a greasy mess putting clothes on. It's lightly fragranced, but I really couldn't smell it on my skin once it was all rubbed in. That's fine by me because I never want my lotion's scent to interfere with my perfume. Heaven forbid. Only thing is, I'm not sure this will cut it once it gets really dry and cold outside. Maybe with continued use, it could be moisturizing enough, but not with just one application for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment